Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Riding that Bicycle...

One of the older students in class raised his hand in frustration on Tuesday and said that he felt as though he were riding on a rickety, old, slow bicycle in this class, and I was whizzing past him so fast that he couldn't keep up. I like the metaphor and sent the class an email to urge them ALL to get on whatever bike they have and begin to pedal. I am hoping that that this student's feeling of lagging behind will disappear once he really begins to work that bicycle and hands in all his work. Many students believe they can and must work full time and attend school full time, and I try to suggest to them that trying to live two lives makes it impossible to succeed at either.

I am hoping to get these students spinning so their legs will move more competently and they can pick up the pace on that old bike!

No comments:

Post a Comment